Moved a bunch of corals around to make room for some acroporas. Also added a few more pieces of rock to provide some extra height to mount the acros on in an effort to not blast the rest of the corals that dont require so much lighting.
View August 4, 2020 21:57
Dosing 16.5ml muriatic acid dropped the dKh by approx 2.8 (I guessitmated 45g of water being present in the reservoir). Just about spot on.
View June 19, 2020 15:11
Measured skimmer for a Swabbie; it requires a 6" (small wiper).

Blue tang has two ich spots on side (some flashing). Hasnt fatten up a lot; betting they wont come back after they fall off.
View April 6, 2020 18:04
Surprisingly, phosphates have bottomed out. I didnt think it would be an issue with 18 fish and two pretty heavy daily feedings but apparently, I need more fish :) In the mean time, I'm dosing NeoPhos. Started at 10ml today which should work out about .02ppm but I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow when I test again so I'll likely have to bump it up significantly initially.
View March 24, 2020 21:59
Recalibrated all the probes and rerouted the wiring so it doesnt come in contact with power cables; pretty sure I was getting some interference from the addition of the second power bar I installed (conductivity results were pretty erratic).
View March 14, 2020 18:20
Installed Pentair 40w UV sterilizer yesterday and ordered an Iwaki MD-70RLT to replace the Snapper/Dart that has already started leaking out the rear seal. Expect noise level to go way up but should gain about 50% more flow that will help offset the loss in manifold flow with the UV sterilizer running.

View March 14, 2020 14:46
Increased dosing to 30ml per day.
View February 19, 2020 22:30
Note: Alkalinity consumption increase a bit today (dropped .2 dKh). I increased the Kessil color to 40% (from max of 15%). We'll see if there is any direct effect on the dinos (or whatever it is).

Diatoms or dinoflagellates popped up in our 150g a few days ago. The tank has been up and running for eight months now but it didn't have any corals (tried some test frags a few months back that all died). The tank was started with dry rock (had one or two pieces of live rock from our 75g to seed it) but on Jan 31st, I decided to snatch a couple more rocks from our 75g that also had a couple acroporas that I was willing to sacrifice (main colonies were still in the 75g). After a week, they looked normal. On Feb 7th, I decided to transfer most of the corals from the 75g to this 150g. For the first few days (four I believe), everything appeared normal and the tank was consuming about .3 dKh per day (negligible prior to the corals being added).

For lighting, I run six T5s (B+, ABS, P+, B+, ABS, B+) and four Kessils A360s. The Kessils were running at 25% intensity and 50% color but I changed the intensity and color to peak at 15% around Feb 11th (wish I had documented the change). I started getting some diatoms or dinoflagellates forming on the rocks approx Feb 15th. They die off (for lack of a better term) but return a few hours after lights on.

Lastly, alkalinity consumption dropped significantly when the diatom/dinoflagellates showed up (dosing went from 60ml per day down to 15ml per day). I'll revert the changes to the intensity/color channel on the Kessils and observe. I expect the nutrient levels to continue to rise as things balance out with the increased bio-load so it will likely remain impossible to attribute anything to a single source.

So there are a number of things that happened at once so it's impossible to narrow down a causal factor. The fish load had been low (three small fish for about seven of the months the tank has been up) so the NO3 and PO4 have largely been too low to measure. The tank now has 18 fish and obviously gets fed a lot more. As of Saturday, NO3 was approx 1ppm and PO4 was .006ppm. I also sent in a Triton ICP and N-Doc so it will be interesting to see what is shown there (Triton results typically show about 1/3 of the PO4 my Hanna comes up with so I'm expecting the ICP to show 0).
View February 18, 2020 23:21
Dosing Tropic Marin's Balling 3-part instead of the BRS 2-part I've been using on the 75g.

Also started dosing 3ml of Brightwell Coral Amino daily since nutrients are so low in this tank. With 17 fish and heavy feedings, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of nutrients for the corals but I'm willing to give the aminos a shot for a few months.
View February 10, 2020 21:52
Added two large rocks from the 75g in an attempt to bring some beneficial bacteria to the 150g (and some magic). A couple acroporas and a monti cap were attached to the rocks so we'll see how those do. Also did a little aquascape work.

The hi-fin goby and tiger pistol are MIA (hopefully I didnt kill them). Everyone else looks ok but a few fish did start flashing (ich).

Anthias has a light colored area near the tail fin; I'm not sure what is going on there but it may be a bacterial infection of some sort. Not holding my breath that it is going to survive though it acts likely nothing is wrong at the moment.

View February 1, 2020 14:12